Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
4 pounds tomatoes, seeded and quartered
1 sweet red pepper, seeded and quartered
½ small onion, cut into chunks
½ teaspoon whole all spice berries
½ teaspoon whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick, broken
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1½ cups cider vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons salt
1. Place quartered tomatoes, bell peppers, and onions in a food processor in 2 batches and pulse until very finely chopped.
2. In a cheesecloth, tie the all spice berries, cloves, cinnamon stick, and red pepper flakes.
3. In a nonreactive saucepan, add tomato mixture, spice bag, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and salt over medium heat and cook until boiling.
4. Now set the heat to low and cook, uncovered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionall y.
5. Remove saucepan of ketchup from heat and discard the spice bag. In 4 (1-pint) hot sterilized jars, divide the ketchup .
6. Slide knife around the insides of each jar to remove air bubbles.
7. Close each jar with a lid and screw on the ring.
8. Arrange the jars in a boiling water canner and process for about 10 minutes.
9. Remove jars from water canner and place on wood surface.
10. Cool then, press the top jar’s lid to ensure that the seal is tight.
11. Canned ketchup can be stored in the pantry for up to 1 year.
Total Fat 0.2 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Total Carbs 7.2 g
Fiber 0.8 g
Sugar 6.2 g
Protein 0.6 g